Accidents During Field Trips
- Obtain identity of witnesses; they may be needed to provide information about the accident. Obtain names and telephone numbers.
- Perform the appropriate First Aid procedures if necessary.
- Staff not directly involved in handling the accident should try to keep the other children calm.
- Notify the Director and/or the administrators if they are not on site.
- Contact the parents and direct them to where they can see their children. Rolodex and attendance should be taken on all field trips. The lead teacher is responsible for this.
- A staff person is to accompany the child to the hospital unless the parent is already on the scene.
- Fill out an accident report when back at the school. The staff person who witnessed the accident should fill out the report.