Presence of a Violent Person
- Talk and move in a calm, controlled manner, so that you don’t encourage panic.
- If it is safe to do so, and can be done unnoticed by the violent person, a staff person can go out the back door and ask to use the neighbor’s phone or a cell phone to call 911.
- Try to keep between the violent person and the children. Try to keep the children calm.
- Don’t try to physically take weapons away from anybody.
- Don’t try to chase anyone fleeing the scene. Observe as much as you can and report your observations to the police.
- After the crisis talk to the children and reassure them.
- Provide parents with a brief overview of the incident so they can be aware and prepared if/when their child wants to discuss it further.